Thursday, April 21, 2016

Time

I thought a lot today about my relationship with time.  There is a certain urgency that follows me around when I am working on projects.
This urgency can be at odds with the normal rhythm of the day.  There is a temptation to put other things aside to feed the creative urgency. 
Today there was a lot that couldn't be put aside.  The tire I thought was patched yesterday needed further repair.  Ryan  was home from school early with plenty of time to practice for solo ensemble - but with a white shirt two sizes too small.
Today the little urgencies of life seemed to pop up just as I'd think I had time to settle in to work.  I often felt like I was circling.  
This evening, Kevin was all set up for sanding a project in the carport when we discovered the sander was broken. He was mad, I was tired and it just felt like one more interruption.  The next thing on my schedule was a run, not fixing a sander.  
Taking it apart seemed more appealing than a trip to the store for a new one so we took a chance and tried.  We removed a dozen screws, learned a bit about how the motor works and shook out years of accumulated saw dust.  It ran, then we put the cover back on and it didn't run, took it off and it seemed to work again.  More frustration.  After about 30 minutes of tweaking and cleaning, we got it to run and stay running with the cover pieces back in place.  Kevin got to continue his project and I went for my run - half hour later than planned.  Somewhere in accepting the broken tool and attending to it rather than trying to avoid or delay dealing with it, I felt myself ease into a new rhythm with the day.    
This evening Kevin and Chad continued their workshop in the carport and I spent some time on the porch with clay.  The repetition of shaping the touch stones was soothing and I love the energy of projects going on around the house.  


No comments:

Post a Comment