Friday, July 1, 2016

Reflecting on 183 days of making...

This is my 183rd post this year (there was one post last year); marking the half way point in this commitment to a year of making, reflecting and sharing.  The commitment has certainly supported my practice.  The last six months have brought great opportunities for making and learning in community and for sharing my work.  I am especially grateful to all who have attended my exhibit at Huntley Meadows.  It is a great joy to see people connect with my work and I continue to learn about the park and the others who enjoy its sanctuary as I visit.  
Today my making was more touchstones - most will go to art-o-mat.  I fit in time on the porch with clay between errands with kids, visits with friends, and general housekeeping.  Most of these were made this evening on the porch as the light faded and I listened to the sounds of the woods and creek. These were soon accented by sounds of fireworks or duck hunting or both.  
As I continued the repetitive process of making the stones, I was reminded of how making can be a form of prayer.  When loud noises seemed to disturb the quiet, I came back to the clay in my hands.  I want to be present to each one - to give it the attention and care of a handmade object.  As I make it I can imagine the hands that might hold it.  I can also think of other hands that have held and shaped this clay.  In the past this clay was used in my classes by families so it has been used to make create shapes as well as imagined landscapes, creatures and stories.  
Each labyrinth I shape is a chance to reflect on journeys.  I stamp the design but then smooth edges and cracks on each one with water.  So they have a mix of repetition and individual care.  
My son joined me for a bit and made this figure.  And I made a final touchstone for myself.  It says "trust" and I will add it to the stones around the candle on our dining room table once it's fired.


No comments:

Post a Comment