Monday, December 12, 2016

Home-making

Caring for a home is a way of making - making space for rest, gathering and nurturance.  My son is in middle school and so I have been thinking about how I spent my time in middle school.  My primary hobby was a doll house.  It was elaborate, a combination of store-bought miniatures and all sorts of hand-made details and accessories.  It was my own little world.  
It would seem this would translate well to home-making in adult life but the difference is that the dolls just posed in the space, they didn't really LIVE in it.  I've never really considered myself much of a home-maker.  If there were to be a theme to our decor it would be piles and raw materials, unfinished projects on every available surface.  
And yet, lately I have been thinking more about creating space and how that can be a kind of making. Today I visited IKEA and completed this couch make-over - it's yet another slipcover for the couch my dad bought me when I got my first job and apartment.  
It has felt harder to get into the Christmas spirit this year too - it feels like one more thing to do on already full days.  What brings me back is memories from my childhood of how preparation for Christmas was a time full of making - ornaments, cookies, gifts.  There is an awe and wonder I love about the lights and the tree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment